There’s Just No Reason Not To.
We all know that recycling is better for the environment. But how? To give you an introduction, in 2014, the United States generated about 258 million tons of MSW (municipal solid waste). Of that, only ~89 million tons of it was recycled and/or composted.1 This makes our overall recycling rate around 35%. To put that into better light, Canada’s recycling rate was 26.8%2 in 2012 and the UK’s was around 43%3 in 2015.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency4, recycling
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water and minerals
- Increases economic security by tapping a domestic source of materials
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials
- Saves energy (2/3 as much vs. using raw material5)
- Supports American manufacturing and conserves valuable resources
- Helps create jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries in the United States
What’s even worse for the environment is if our trash ends up on the side of the road. These items get washed into our rivers, end up in our oceans, and create havoc for the ecosystem. According to new studies, scientists have discovered that animals not only eat ocean plastics because it looks like food, but because it smells like it too.6
This is why Earthwater, in collaboration with Garbo Grabber, is sponsoring volunteers, THIS SATURDAY, to help clean up the riverbeds of our historical Trinity River @ Tipton Park.
Date & Time: Sat, April 7, 2018
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Location: 3607 Magdeline Street
Dallas, TX 75212
Contact: (972) 940-2204
Register Link: https://keepdallasbeautiful.net/788-2/
©EarthWater, Ltd. 2018